Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Italian Wars
Chaps,

Any suggestions on manufacturers for Italian Wars 15mm? Its been a while since I took a serious tour around the manufactures. I'm thinking of building a Venetian army circa early C16th, which on paper (and without the artillery) looks very much like my FoG A Skythians!

Regards
Regards
Mark

Dib Dib Dob Fish Tricycle!
Hi Mark,

This is a good place to start - it also includes eBay listings :-

http://www.madaxeman.com/main/15mm_renaissance_suppliers_text.php

Sadly, a lot of the Italian manufacturers (who, not surprisingly, made the best IW figures) seem to have gone under in recent years, and only a few of their ranges have been bought up. Still should be something there for you, though.
My own IW armies are a mish mash of Mikes Models, Tabletop(Altuos; 15mm.co.uk) and Essex built, mostly, in the old days (1980's) when I was less discerning about the difference in size of all these 15mm figures.
If I was starting today I would scratch Mikes Models; much as I love them they are pretty incompatible with most modern 15's and when I got some more to update for FOGR you could tell the moulds were getting a little old. Plus, allegedly, if you order the mounted the riders are MM but the horses Essex which are just a bit too big.
Altuos are good but a limited range of castings and no variety of poses within the same code.
I had a look at QRF which are proper 15mm and they are very well priced but don't have a very big range, especially of gendarmes which is key for the Italians.

The best range that is easily obtainable in the UK I think is Essex. They have an excellent variety of gendarmes plus all the other types you will need in a consistent scale.

Just my 2p worth.
Paul/Mark,

Altuos in the UK, and Viking Forge in the USA, sell essentially the same figures for this period. These were made by the former Minifigs sculptor who did their 2nd Generation ECW/TYW and Renaissance ranges, and who moved on to Tabletop/Asgard for a while (I think he now works for Early War Miniatures).
A lot of my stuff is by Venexia which was the best range out there IMHO. Sgt Major Miniatures of USA bought the moulds a couple of years back and have sat on them ever since.

Black Hat Miniatures sell the former Gladiator Games range of Renaissance figures. Their site has pics of most of the range so you can see before you buy.

http://www.blackhat.co.uk/product-category/15mm-miniatures/15mm-miniatures-renaissance/

There are some really nice chunky characterful sculpts in there but a few howlers too. The packs listed as 'Italian' are amongst their nicest and at ten foot for £2.50 are very reasonable.
Figure painter, house husband, living the dream.

http://www.fat-wally.com/
Re Blak Hat. If you are buying these their prices are going up on 1st February 2016 to £3.00 for a pack of 10 infantry or 5 cavalry. Still good value but not as good as they are now.
I have a complete wish mash of Italian Wars figures. Black Hat are amongst the best available at present but only if you like chunky figures.
If you like I can bring my figures along to the next meeting or if you are near Holbury you can pop in and have a look. If you want to do this PM me and I'll give you my phone number to discuss.
Cheers
John
Not sure where my post yesterday went! But cheers to all suggestions.

I've already had look at Black Hat and quite like the infantry. The Cav have an Essex look to them. Nice as they fit into what I am used to with my late mediaevals.

Paul we must have game soon. John, ta for the offer, but I'm a bit busy at the mo. (thus my not being at any meetings since November. I think I will take advantage of the lesser price and jump right in before 31 Jan!

Just a final bit of advice. What is (if there is such) the optimal size of a pike armed BG?
Regards
Mark

(01-23-2016, 05:32 PM)MadMarkedMan Wrote:  Just a final bit of advice.  What is (if there is such) the optimal size of a pike armed BG?

In FoG:R, you can have 8-14 bases of pike, plus 2 more bases of "heavy weapons" (either two-handed swords, or halberds), with four figures to a base in both cases. As an alternative, you can have 10-16 bases of pike and no heavy weapons instead. Obviously, some of the pike bases can be command, flags, etc.

Generally, you need a minimum of 12 bases of pike for a keil (equivalent to 2 battle groups), with or without heavy weapons, as the rules require it to start the game a minimum of four (pike) bases deep; most people seem to go for the 12-2 option, but 14-2 is also quite common.

Pike-Pike-Pike
Pike-Pike-Pike
Pike-Pike-Pike
Pike-Pike-Pike
H/W-------H/W
Optimal size can depend on what you use it for. As Brendan said 12-16 is the normal range for an offensive pike block but I have used them in 10's defensively.

Just to clarify a keil is a keil when it has a minimum of two files four ranks deep so you need to bear that in mind when designing your pike block i.e allow for casualties to maintain the keil status which is very important.

See if you can persuade Graham to get his Italians out and we can play a doubles game at some point.
Ta chaps; very helpful.

I am up for a game; doubles or otherwise. I'm free for any of the forthcoming meetings. Paul, and evening game sometime is also possible but after 31 Jan.
Regards
Mark