Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doasp2 Later Imperial Spanish
Literally the end of March and the last two combat units are done.

First up are two units of dragoons. In this period of FOGR classification dragoons are dragoons and pretty universally average and musket armed. Six bases so either two units of three or one of four.

[Image: DSCN4677_zpst1sjpefb.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4679_zps7su4xjt1.jpg]

Finally the Croats. Interestingly, Light Horse still figure in many European armies of this period but did not transfer to England in the Civil War which probably says a lot for their effectiveness. Could have two units of four but went with the one unit of six; if they prove useful I may get a couple more.

[Image: DSCN4681_zpsvjfrjaqb.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4680_zpsi9b1xara.jpg]

So, all that is left are the commanders, which I have already started on and the camp. All on course now for the first game against Brian’s Swedes on April 9th. Better cavalry than me and Swedish Brigades so a pretty tough first outing in prospect.
(03-31-2016, 06:18 PM)Paul Marsh Wrote:  Finally the Croats. Interestingly, Light Horse still figure in many European armies of this period but did not transfer to England in the Civil War which probably says a lot for their effectiveness.

[Image: DSCN4681_zpsvjfrjaqb.jpg]

A lot of them seem to have pick-axes - would have thought they'd be ideal for Irish Confederates, or maybe some pre-white van era Cockney builders?
Cockney builders tend to favour the broken bottle as a weapon

The figures look superb Paul
Quote:A lot of them seem to have pick-axes

I did say that Light Horse were not that effective so their secondary role is helping out with the field defences a lot of Spanish armies deployed, in lieu of the cockney builders Smile

Thanks Mark for your kind comment
And finally, the commanders plus hangers on, trumpeters etc to massage the great mans ego.
A mixture of commercial and free on the net flags as usual.

[Image: DSCN4684_zpsrfk41wrx.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4683_zpsr7ukkilb.jpg]

And last of all as always is the camp. Planned to have earthworks and a wagon as part of this but just not enough room as I had already painted the figures etc when I did the infantry and artillery last year. Ho hum, a simple fence and a gathering of reserves to defend the loot instead.

[Image: DSCN4686_zpsg0r5zb5i.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4687_zpsd9zs1ux6.jpg]

So, there we have it. 250 foot, 111 mounted and 8 pieces of artillery done in just over nine months. A much faster rate than I previously managed using my old black lining technique and I can still field troops painted to a standard that I am happy with.

Next project is an even bigger departure for me. I am putting down my beloved enamels and venturing into the brush destroying world of acrylics as I attempt to paint all the plastic figures that come with my favourite Tolkien based boardgame “War of the Ring”.  And believe you me I have played a lot of Tolkien boardgames in the past 40 years and most are so biased to the Fellowship they have not lasted. But this one is a doozy and generally ranked one of the best boardgames, period. Hence the justification in spending the next year or so painting the couple of hundred figures that go with it!!
Fantastic work, you should be very proud of your efforts