Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doasp2 Later Imperial Spanish
Having taken a break last year from painting my own stuff, aside from a few Swiss, I decided to crack on with the next project. Lots of FOGR being played at the club led to the emergence/re-emergence of quite a few Thirty Years Wars armies of which I had none. I seem to have inadvertently picked a  Spanish theme in my armies covering  about 3-400 years of history already so why not another?
Later Imperial Spanish covers the final heyday of the Spanish Empire before it all went to pot and bankruptcy what with revolting Dutch, English Seadogs and the resurgence of France. You still get excellent Spanish infantry in either tercio form or more linear formations toward the latter half of the C17th. Reasonable numbers of mounted, including some excellent cuirassiers, to hold on until the infantry win the battle.
Had a cursory look at a few 15mm ranges but was pretty certain from the off to go with Donnington(Ancient and Modern) as they are very robust figures, paint well and can be bought individually from an excellent range.

As always start with the infantry to get the bulk out of the way first. So, for the second time the white undercoat, simple paint job and a wash to finish which is all my eyesight can manage these days.  That along with Kevin Louth’s excellent tip to paint by figure pose rather than unit should hopefully see these finished by the end of Spring 2016.
Started these in June and finished by November, just a little tardy in posting anything. Unlike the Later Mycenaeans  done last time these guys have an added wrinkle- steel plate rather than bronze. In all the other armies I have done I have used the metal of the figure to provide the base for armour but not possible if you white undercoat. The method I settled on was to paint the armour black then drybrush with Citadel Leadbelcher and another lighter drybrush of silver.

[Image: DSCN4561%20Small_zpsmcnerlj6.jpg]

Six tercios or nine pike and shot units depending on what date you use them; 180 figures all told.

[Image: DSCN4558%20Small_zpsybbblxlw.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4564%20Small_zpsfcomzaei.jpg]

I am well into finishing off the compulsory “foreign regiment” required by the army list as well as the artillery which should all be done over Christmas.
Great stuff Paul.
Errr... You did say... simple paint job? Nice!
Regards
Mark

Dib Dib Dob Fish Tricycle!
Look forward to these routing me (and my new dice Sad ) in 2016.

Keep January 16 free - a potential new member (and possible SL round entrant) from Portsmouth, would like to play a 900-pointer.
Fantastic job Paul. Well done mate.
Figure painter, house husband, living the dream.

http://www.fat-wally.com/
I can't believe that they are 15mm. Excellent job Kev. Have a great Christmas and look forward to seeing them and you in the new year
Cheers
john
Thank you all for the kind comments.

Back to work tomorrow so just time to post these up.
First lot is the single regiment of “Foreign troops” required by the FOGR army list due to the presence of a significant number of mercenaries after 1635. As with most troops of the TYW these are a pretty generic unit of pike and shot in the shallower formation even the Spanish adopted in the later period of the war. Precious little uniformity which is again typical of the period although there is quite a bit of green to hint at a greencoat regiment which differentiated from the predominantly red and yellow shades favoured by the Spanish; the red sash of the officer is the only apparent constant in all Imperialist armies.

[Image: DSCN4572%20Small_zpsy2eew2vf.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4573%20Small_zpsuhuxjghb.jpg]

Artillery also all done. No uniformity here at all excepting the gun commanders sash and the almost as obligatory red plume in the hats. Donnington do some additional pieces like barrels and piles of shot which helps the bases somewhat.

[Image: DSCN4575%20Small_zpscgjh0ko6.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4574%20Small_zpswoxhvrwe.jpg]

Next up the first lot of mounted which will be the cuirassiers of the Caballos corazas. Mounted I always find a bit fiddly but these have quite a bit of armour so may not take as long; could be done by the end of February with a bit of luck.
Well, here we are at the end of February and I have done better than expected finishing all six units of the main mounted arm of the Spanish.
First up are the two (early period) or  three ( late period) units of Superior cuirassiers of the Caballos corazas. Typical cuirassiers of the period with ¾ armour. Typically this would be “blackened” to various degrees as a rust inhibitor but I didn’t want it too black so it would actually look like armour.

[Image: DSCN4638_zpsgsz52jer.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4640_zpsgq6zdhlf.jpg]

There isn’t much information on cavalry standards for the Spanish in the TYW but I found a few free ones trawling through the net and decided to give these guys swallow tailed banners in typical Spanish colours as well as the red cross of Burgundy.

Next were two units of the average type Caballos corazas. Pretty much the same but less plumage, a few figures with open faced burgonets and square standards. I know who these guys are but it helps your opponent if two similar troop types have differences.

[Image: DSCN4648_zps2ju1nbt4.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4649_zpsgagfxifs.jpg]

Lastly a unit of Arquebusiers which are compulsory in the early period. Not as well protected as the cuirassiers and relying on shooting before contact which is never particularly effective. Rear support anyone?

[Image: DSCN4654_zpsjqruahro.jpg]

So, that went better than I expected but these are the first (non-chariot) mounted I have done using the faster painting technique plus I had a bit more spare time than expected as work was a bit slow.
Very nice - looking forward to meeting these with David's Huge Nuts.
(02-26-2016, 11:25 PM)BrendanM Wrote:  Very nice - looking forward to meeting these with David's Huge Nuts.

Thanks Brendan but David's Huge Nuts will be better off against the Early Imperial Spanish as these two lists only coincide during tourneys.
Now you have cracked the secret of using the Huguenots properly I look forward to a tough game sometime in the future.