Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FoG:R Tournament in October - Looking for......
......an army - or just a group of units - that could pose as Later Imperial Austrian (1570-1610) for the BHGS Doubles tournament at Abingdon in October. The competition is on the weekend of 24/25 October, but a practice run on Saturday 10 October would be damned useful. We have some useable forces and two players to move them about, but probably not quite enough for a full army (yet).

Alternatively, another army for that period and one player to go with it (we currently have a third person thinking about entering) would be equally welcome.

Two armies and three players would be even better. Big Grin

Paul, David and I entered this event in 2014 under the Wessex banner, and since then we've entered a few more tournaments. The Club is gradually becoming known on the FoG:R circuit, and it would be really great if more members were able to participate and add to that reputation. We have also approached Chairman Kev about WWS hosting one of the five rounds of the Southern League next year, due to problems with the existing Southampton round.
Hi Brendan, I can't help you with the forces want unless some Poles would do. I wouldn't mind taking part in future FOGR games but I won't be available for the October one as it clashes with half term. I'll speak to at the club when I'm next there. Cheers John.
Hi Brendan, when are you at the club next? Would be useful to sit and discuss the needs / requirements of hosting a FOGR district round.
Cheers Kev
I take it we are bidding to run the Southern League round that was formerly hosted by the other Southampton club? If so, great - more than happy to pitch in. Unfortunately, I won't be down again until the first meeting in September (which I think is a Sunday - the day after Colours). However, I shall be more than happy to hold initial discussions via PM or email between now and August 8th, when I go on holiday (back on 24th).

The SL rounds are held on a Sunday; three games of 2.5 hours each, with half hour gaps between rounds 1 and 2, and 2 and 3; initial seeding (I think based on current national rankings or previous year's SL rankings), but thereafter Swiss chess system. Points limit is usually 800 for 15mm (I'm not sure if we would be allowed to hold a 25mm competition instead/as well as, but if so, that would be 650/700); we get to choose the theme and time frame, but it's usual to have a bit of discussion on the Slitherine website when announcing the date etc. We'd need someone familiar with the relevant army lists to check the competitors' armies, and someone to accept and record entry fees, and confirm "runners and riders" at the appropriate time.

On the day, the host club sets up the required number of tables, supplies and lays out pre-selected terrain, and establishes a system of who plays on which table (I don't know if it's universal, but the Oxford club had a very good process based on playing cards). Host club also provides umpires, who may be players; they can theoretically come from any club - just as long as they know the rules! And an official scorer, who must be sufficiently familiar with the points system to be able to get the final results out before folk pack up and go home. The hall would need to be hired for a full day - quite possibly it would require an overnight set-up for a 9:00am start, but with enough hands we should be out and locked up by 6:30pm.

Oh, and prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd - usually painted 28mm models based on plinths.

Paul (Marsh) used to enter the Southampton round, 2013 and 2014 at least I think, so he may be able to provide more info on what they usually did. I have a feeling certain rounds were beginning to become linked to specific themes, continents, and/or time frames (eg the Oxford round has been ECW for the last two years), so we might like to look at something that doesn't over-tax folk budget/painting wise for our first effort, but consider a "trademark" theme/period/list for future years. I don't know if it's expected of the host club specifically, but sometimes when an extra player or two are required to make the numbers work, players can offer "spare armies" to encourage participants who otherwise would not have anything appropriate.

I'm sure I've probably missed something out, but run all that by Paul and he'll most likely spot whatever it is.
(07-31-2015, 09:43 AM)duns.scotus Wrote:  Hi Brendan, I can't help you with the forces want unless some Poles would do. I wouldn't mind taking part in future FOGR games but I won't be available for the October one as it clashes with half term. I'll speak to at the club when I'm next there. Cheers John.

John - Thanks for the offer, most kind. At the moment, Poles don't fit into David's and my plans, but Paul Marsh is thinking of entering as well and could be interested. I've sent you a PM about this and something else.