Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
attack comp
I seam to remember reading something to do with entering the comp at attack devises or I'm I getting mixed up with some other forum
(04-20-2015, 11:22 AM)Grandad Wrote:  I seam to remember reading something to do with entering the comp at attack devises or I'm I getting mixed up with some other forum

It might me on the old forum

Regards

Law
Actually you are spot on, Grandad.

We're hoping to enter two teams for a FoG:R "doubles" competition (900 point armies commanded by two players each), on 18th/19th July. The theme is Siege of Vienna, and armies must be 1680-1690 vintage. David Hewkin and I are using a Later German (Bavarian) army, and I think President Kev and Paul Marsh are going to be entering Later Ottomans; both are from the Duty & Glory army list book.

More details here:-
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=55535

Were you thinking of entering?

Brendan
Thinking about it mate is 2 the Max??
Grandad
Actually you are spot on, Grandad.  

We're hoping to enter two teams for a FoG:R "doubles" competition (900 point armies commanded by two players each), on 18th/19th July.  The theme is Siege of Vienna, and armies must be 1680-1690 vintage.  David Hewkin and I are using a Later German (Bavarian) army, and I think President Kev and Paul Marsh are going to be entering Later Ottomans; both are from the Duty & Glory army list book.

More details here:-
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=55535

Were you thinking of entering?

Brendan
[/quote]
(04-21-2015, 10:37 AM)Grandad Wrote:  Thinking about it mate is 2 the Max??

Do you mean two players per team, or two teams per club?

In terms of players per team/army, you can only have two players in each game, but they don't have to be the same two players each time. You can have a third team member if you wish, but I think they like to have a good reason for it. Last year, Paul, David and I entered another doubles competition as a threesome, as I could do both days, but neither of them could (David did Saturday, Paul did Sunday).

In terms of pairs per club, it's not a "club competition" as such (each pair is judged on its own results), so there's no limit other than the number of places available overall. What they will try to do is avoid teams from the same club being drawn against each other, at least in the first couple of rounds - they use a Swiss Chess system, so your league table placings may make it unavoidable in the last couple of rounds.

Does that help? What were you thinking of entering?
I might but I don't have a partner.
I suspect there would be a few people willing to partner you, the problem is more likely to be finding an appropriate army. I asked around for an army to borrow for another competition last year, and nobody else at the Club appears to have one from the Duty & Glory lists. I would start by posting something on the "organise a game" section on the Historical forum, and see what replies you get.

You could probably get away with using a late TYW-era army, especially if it's Eastern European as clothing and weaponry are less likely to have changed (even Western Europeans won't look massively different in 1680). The organisers don't mind figures being a little out-of-period, provided it's clear what they are representing during the game.

As a final thought, try approaching the organisers. Most host clubs will have a pool of suitable armies they are happy to lend out for competitions; they may also have a spare club member looking to play. I've met several of them and they are very hospitable, not at all "gamey", and are as far away from the stereotypical competition players as you can get.
(04-21-2015, 01:57 PM)Grandad Wrote:  I might but I don't have a partner.

As discussed on Saturday - contact Nigel Emsen via PM on the Slitherine website. You can find his details on several of the current threads in the "Tournaments" folder for the FoG:R product (example below). I've emailed him to tell him you'll be in contact.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=53478&start=80

He should be able to find a suitable army to enter. It costs £24 per pair (not each) to enter and the entry form is on here:-

http://www.ddwg.org.uk/attack-2015-competitions/ewExternalFiles/FOG%20Rennaissance%20Entry%20Form2014.pdf

Any problems, let me know. Nigel is coming down for a game on July 4th so you could meet him then.
having with slitherine could you get him the E me

basting@hotmail.co.uk

cheers